Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Shrimp Parade

I like to cook but cooking for one is boring and messes up too many dishes. When I go out to eat, I like to order something that I know will be at least two meals. Today's recipe is from my Captain's Platter from the seafood place I went last night.

Last night I ate the fried oyster, fried flounder, the scallops and the deviled crab. I ordered a baked potato that I did not eat and will use for another meal tomorrow. I also had the salad with dressing on the side to take home to be eaten with the Shrimp Parade. The fried popcorn shrimp is the base for today's recipe.

When you have leftover fried shrimp - it just doesn't taste as good the next day when you warm it up. That's because when you warm it up you are cooking it again and shrimp becomes tough when overcooked. For this reason the shrimp will barely be in the pan before it's ready. You'll see.

Place chopped onions in a saute pan and cook on a medium high heat. This dish is quick so don't leave it or you'll burn everything. (Look for my hint on onions in the next entry.) Once the onions are clear put in half of a can of diced tomatoes. Reserve the rest for another recipe. If using plain tomatoes add any seasonings you may like. I always use fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Italian herbs, rosemary, dill, garlic - use what you like or leave it to just the salt and pepper. They make canned tomatoes that already have seasonings in them and make it just that much easier for you.

You are making a quick sauce by doing this on the higher heat and just want to get rid of some of the liquid. (If you let it get too dry just add a little water.) Put in the cocktail sauce you were clever enough to ask for last night. Mix together and then add your shrimp. After you have stirred this together, add a handfull of shredded cheese, sprinkled on top. (Any kind you like but using a six cheese blend is very yummy.) Do not mix your cheese in, just let it melt. Your hot sauce is going to warm up your shrimp without cooking them so get it of the heat as soon as possible. Take your plate and slip it over from the pan to the plate. The breading on the shrimp along with the sauce give it a taste of Chicken Parmesan. It doesn't taste like leftover shrimp!

Serves 1-2

No comments: